Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mandoo

It's been a long time since my last post but what better time than the present to pick up with another review.  I'm going to ease myself back in with a short post about a place I visited a few months ago.

Mandoo Korean dumplings is a little restaurant hidden on Bank Street.  After reading a fair few positive reviews about their tenderly handmade dumplings and friendly service I decided to rummage up some friends to check it out.  Here's a quick peek at their menu.


We ordered four dishes - Steamed Kimchi, Steamed Chicken, Fried Pork and Fried Vegetables.  I'm a great dumpling fan, who isn't really?  The staff were quite friendly despite how busy they were at the time and the restaurant smelled amazing, I was practically salivating by the time our food arrived. 


However I was really quite disappointed with all of the dishes ordered.  They weren't unpleasant by any means but they were, unfortunately, quite bland.  I felt that the dumpling skins were awfully thick and the size of the dumplings made for an awkward eating experience.  Although I must admit, their mashed potato was really delicious, if I could get a little serve of that on it's own I'd have been happier

I was a bit disheartened by the meal, Mandoo has received many great reviews from online bloggers and personal acquaintances alike so perhaps I had gone in with too high of expectations.  I can't say I would return, sadly to say, I find more flavour and joy in a bowl of cheap, convenient dumplings from Dumpling King.

Food: 2.5/5
Service: 4/5
Value: 2.5/5
Ambience: 3/5

Mandoo Korean Dumplings on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment