Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kenji's Modern Japanese

Wow, just wow!  A friend of mine recommended Kenji to me recently and I must say, it was one of my favourite dining experiences to date. 


The waitresses were really sweet and friendly and more than willing to give their recommendations or go through the menu with you.  Drink choices for the evening was a Japanese Slipper and some Choya Kotuko Black Umeshu which is possibly the best plum wine I've ever had!  It was intensely sweet (which I just adore) and on the rocks was superb.  After getting home I found myself googling where I could get this wonder brew from!


Entrees for the evening was some mixed tempura which, to be quite honest, was nothing too special but just right.  I had regretted not ordering two of the Zensai (mixed appetisers) which was made up of: Chicken and Leek Soup, Wagyu Hayashi Croquette, Beetroot cured Salmon, Crab and Fish Jelly, Pumpkin with Tofu, Char Sui Pork and a Spicy Tuna Roll.  Every appetiser was amazing but the one that stood out the most to me was the Beetroot cured Salmon, paired with orange, this was the most interesting mix of flavours I've experienced yet and I find myself wishing I was back there now!  Although the Zensai changes, I would definitely recommend it, as the selections of appetisers always seem to be amazing and unique pieces.


For the mains we had the Slow Cooked Pork with Gyoza and Kimchi Salad and Wagyu Beef Curry.  The chef told us that they slow cook the Pork for 3 days and wow you can tell, it was so succulent and practically fell apart with a gentle nudge from your fork!  The flavours were intense and amazing, my partner isn't fond of Kimchi so I nibbled that all up!  My dish was the Curry as I'm a huge fan of Japanese curry and love to try everyones take on it.  The Wagyu Beef Katsu on the side was lovely, perfectly cooked and melt-in-your-mouth, the portion of curry seemed very generous too and very delicious.  No complaints for either, both dishes were fab!


DESSERT!  Oh wow, their list of desserts was so amazing, I think I spent a good 10 minutes trying to decide which one I wanted.  I ended up going with the Passionfruit and Sweet Potato Parfait with Popping candy,Plums and an Edible Flower - the flower itself was... well edible it may be but pleasant it was not, haha! I shooed it to the side as I gleefully demolished my parfait, the popping candy was such an excellent touch and reminds me of Heston Blumenthals love for it.  My partner had the Green Tea and Chocolate pudding with Green Tea Ice cream and pouring cream.  Not too much to say on this one other than delish! I love Green Tea flavoured sweets so much and the pudding was just amazing and sickly sweet!  I'd definitely recommend it!

Don't hesitate, book for Kenji today, I guarantee you won't regret it!  I'm just counting down the days until I can go back there again!

Food: 5/5
Service: 5/5
Value: 4/5
Ambience: 4/5


Kenji Modern Japanese on Urbanspoon

1 comment: